Don’t Just Stand There

Stand Up Against Bullying

Abigail Stephens, Editor

“Just ignore them”, we all say way too often. Students are being teased, ridiculed, and bullied for being themselves or standing up for what is right. Every year 1 in 4 students are affected by bullying. Bullying can cause such emotional and mental problems, bystanders need to stop being bystanders and stand up for those who can’t stand up for themselves.
Signs of students who are experiencing bullying can be; a very big decline in grades, being socially challenged, a change in attendance, a change in attitude, and many more that teachers, administrators, and students need to be aware of. The signs will vary from student to student, and some won’t have any signs at all. High school is a hard time for anyone who is the least bit different. Students need all the resources and help that they can get when they are going through a time of being bullied.
There are 71% of people throughout the high school setting that witness bullying happening and don’t say anything. Don’t be one of those people, don’t be a bystander. If a bystander intervenes in a bullying situation, the bullying stops within 10 seconds 57% of the time.
Remember as Madelaine Petsch once said, “The people who are bullying you, they’re insecure about who they are, and that’s why they’re bullying you. It never has to do with the person they’re bullying. They desperately want to be loved and be accepted, and they go out of their way to make people feel unaccepted so that they’re not alone.”