Taking the Stage

One Act Plays Performs at District

Alexya LaFleur, Writer

“Let’s run it from the top of scene three.”
The director called the start of the third scene for the second time and the practice began, and the performers remembered their lines perfectly.
On Saturday, March 23, The West Orange-Stark Theatre Troupe performed Far Fetched Fables written by George Bernard Shaw for the One Act Play at the Sam and Linda Monroe Performing Arts Center at Lamar Port Arthur.
The One Act play is where schools from the district get together and compete to see which school’s act advances to state. All of the judges are each looking for something different, one of the judges looked for how well the students worked together on stage, another of the judges wanted to see how articulate the students were and the last wanted to see the actors and actresses having fun. Only three schools can advance from district to state.
The troupe began practice in early January, working tirelessly for hours at a time during and after school five days a week. At home, the students continued to rehearse their lines and practice their blocking.
“The students performed drastically better during the competition than they did at practice,” Director and Theatre Arts teacher Mason Franco said. “Their nerves during the performance helped them concentrate. I’m really proud of my kids even though we didn’t advance to state, we’ll just get better for next year.”
Despite the troupe not advancing to state, they did take home two awards. Stage Manager William (Willie) Hariston received the Outstanding Tech award. Actress Rayne Keith, who played Rose, received the Honorable Mention Actress award.
“I am honored that I got an honorable mention all-star cast. I was extremely surprised that I was the one to get the award,” Keith said. “I thought I was dreaming when I was walking up there. I’m glad that I had this opportunity, it wouldn’t be possible without the entire cast. I’m very grateful that I got to work with them.”