Pepper Spray Causes Problems for Honor Graduate

Abby Stephens, Writer/ Photograpgher

Two students, one pepper spray, one tiny spritz, one horrible accident, and two suspensions.

On May 2, 2018 in an AP Precalculus class, a male student accidentally sprayed another female student’s mace that was on her keychain. Students started to cough and gag at the taste and smell of the spray. Authorities got to the class and wanted to know who did it,  the female student gave the pepper spray to the assistant principal and the male confessed to his wrong doing. The two students  were “at fault” because it was hers and the other because he accidentally sprayed it, both students involved were suspended for the rest of the day, within 15 minutes of the incident.

The female student involved graduates in June and plans to attend UT of Austin in the fall. She has never been in any trouble all her years of school. The student carried the mace for protection purposes for before and after schools and on weekend because she drives and is preparing and getting everything she needs for college furnishings.

As young women we should be able to protect ourselves. We drive to school, we have to get gas to come to school, we have to walk into work, and if we stay after school there’s no teachers or police officers on campus to protect us while walking to our vehicle where we are instructed to keep our pepper spray. We are instructed to keep our pepper spray in our vehicles, after the accident, even though it does no good to us if it’s in our vehicles, it has a higher chance of  the effectiveness being weakened, the can could leak, or even explode.

The handbook was recently updated in February of 2018. Our guardians read the handbook at the beginning of the school year during registration. The guardians weren’t notified of this change. Young women have carried mace with them on campus for years. We should feel safe walking in and out of school at any time of the day.